November 5, 2018 – TORONTO, ON: We are thrilled to share Heidi Ruggier, President, Matte PR, is now serving on Ryerson School of Fashion’s Program Advisory Council.
For the next three years, Heidi will collaborate with a team of advisors led by School of Fashion Chair, Dr. Ben Barry. This team will help contribute to the school’s vision of recruiting and supporting prospective students who are diverse, creative and design-forward. As a member of the Ryerson School of Fashion’s Program Advisory Council, Heidi will be called to provide support based on her expertise and help grow the school into one of the most progressive fashion institutions in the world.
“Fashion has a glaring problem – diversity & gender parity– and it needs to be addressed in a far-reaching way. I’m not just talking about magazine covers. It’s important we, as an industry, work to build a diverse cast of professionals who can bring unique perspectives to fashion and society at large.”, says Matte PR President, Heidi Ruggier. “I look forward to working with Dr. Barry and the Ryerson School of Fashion to attract a new cohort of students offering a broad range of viewpoints to the industry.”
Transformation within the industry is needed, both on the surface and deep within. Though it has become more common in recent years, LGBTQ, people of color, people with disabilities, plus-size and advanced age are still rarely seen inside fashion magazines, on the runway and in executive boardrooms. According to a 2016 study in Business of Fashion, out of a sample of 50 major fashion brands, only 14% are run by women. It’s time for change.
Full List: Ryerson’s School of Fashion Program Advisory Council
- Anjli Patel, fashion lawyer and trademark agent (@bluechipfashion)
- Krishna Nikhil (@krishna_to), Chief Merchandising Officer at SSENSE (@SSENSE)
- Sage Paul (@sagepaul), Designer/Artistic Director, Indigenous Fashion Week Toronto (@IFWTO)
- Brian A. Richards (@barstyling), THE COLLECTIONS (@fsncollections) + RESTFSN (@resetfsn) co \ Founder \ Production Director \ Art Director
- Heidi Ruggier (@heidiruggier), President & Founder, Matte PR Inc (@mattestories)
- Mary Turner (@maryturner33), Chief Operating Officer for Town Shoes Limited (Town Shoes, The Shoe Company, Shoe Warehouse and DSW Canada)
- Laurie Belzak, Sector Development Officer for Fashion and Design at the City of Toronto (@cityofto)
- Aisha Fairclough (@faitinthecity), TV Producer, Diversity Consultant and Body Image Advocate
- Nina Boccia (@nboccia), Director of Programs at Design Exchange (@designexchange)
- Lynda Friendly, President & CEO, Lynda Friendly and Associates Inc.
- Candice Chan (@candicemchan), Partner/Creative Director, CANDICE&Alison Inc. (@candice_alison)
- Jill Andrew (@jillslastword), educator & community advocate, and co-founder of Body Confidence Canada (@bodyconfidencecanada)
- Izzy Camilleri, one of Canada’s leading innovative and celebrated fashion designers
- Jeanne Beker (@thejeannebeker) fashion icon